- Plant Description - This tree is native to southern Ontario and into the United States. It grows in wet to moist, well-drained soil and full to part sun. Seedlings need shade for the first 3 years. Grows up to 26'. It is important to plant pawpaws in the ground in their first or second year to ensure their taproot grows downward. If it is squished inside a pot, it can potentially lead to restricted growth. This tree produces delicious fall fruit. Very adaptable to less than preferable soil conditions. Avoid planting in windy locations. Suitable for climate zones 5b-8.
- Pollination - Two or more trees with different genetics are needed to produce fruit.
- Available Size - 1 year old bare root seedlings are 6" to 1 ft tall. These are small! Most of their energy goes into growing a long taproot in their first few years of growth.
Pick-Up Details -
- "Pick-up April 2 Only" - These seedlings must be picked up on April 2, 2023 between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m. Do not purchase these seedlings if you cannot pick them up during this time.
- "Pick-up Late Autumn" - Seedlings must drop most of their leaves prior to transplanting. This is weather dependent. Pick-up is typically a Saturday in early November. You will be notified within one to two weeks before this pick-up date.
- Refer to Bare Root Tree Planting Instructions
- Native to Southern Ontario and not the Bruce Peninsula
Photo courtesy of Heather Schibli.